Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
We have answers! Review the list of questions we hear most from veterans like you.

Questions for Veterans


What is the Hazlewood Act?

The Hazlewood Exemption (Hazlewood Act) is an education benefit for honorably discharged or separated Texas veterans and for eligible dependent children and spouses of Texas veterans. Visit the Texas Veterans Commission website or the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board for more information.

Who can help me file for benefits through the VA?

Navigating the Department of Veterans Affairs system can be overwhelming. The Texas Veterans Commission was created to help with that process. To find your nearest claims office, visit the Texas Veterans Commission website.

How can I get a home loan?

The Veterans Housing Assistance Program (VHAP) enables veterans to purchase single family attached and detached homes, townhomes, units of a condominium development or planned unit development, and two-to-four family units which were constructed at least five years prior to the closing date of the loan. Visit the Texas Veterans Land Board website to learn more.

How do I apply for a property tax exemption?

Veterans with qualifying service-connected disabilities are eligible to have a portion of their property taxes waived. Complete Form 50-135 and send it to your County Appraisal District. Proof of eligibility must accompany the application. Applications for the exemption must be completed between January 1 and April 30. Read the New Homestead Exemption for Disabled Veterans brochure (pdf) for more information.

Where can I get help with finding a job?

The state of Texas provides several resources for help finding jobs. The Texas Veterans Leadership Program is specifically designed for OEF/OIF veterans and their needs, while the Texas Veterans Commission's Employment Services are co-located in Texas Workforce Centers throughout the state.

What special benefits do Texas veterans qualify for?

The State of Texas provides many benefits to veterans residing in Texas including: Veterans Housing Assistance Program, land loans, concealed handgun license fee waivers, free driver license, reduced fees for fishing and hunting licenses, parking placards & registration, property tax exemptions, home renovation loans, burial in state cemeteries, specialty license plates, free state park admission, and state veterans nursing home care. Visit the Texas Veterans Commission website for more information.

I am a spouse of a veteran. Are there support groups in my area?

TexVet: Partners Across Texas, provides resources for both veterans and their families. Visit their site to find help in your area.

How can I find out about upcoming veterans' events?

The Texas Veterans Commission calendar lists upcoming events throughout the state. If you know of an upcoming event that is not listed, you may submit it to the calendar.

What is non-service connected pension and how can I find out if I qualify?

Non service-connected pension is a monthly benefit paid to wartime veterans who have limited or no income and are 65 years or older. Wartime veterans younger than 65 who are permanently and totally disabled may also be eligible. Visit the Texas Veterans Commission website for more information.

The VA has denied my claim. How do I file an appeal?

You have the right to appeal VA decisions. The Texas Veterans Commission website can help you through that process.

What is Dependency and Indemnity Compensation?

VA may provide a monthly benefit to the surviving spouses and some parent(s) of a servicemember or veteran whose death was service-related. Visit the VA website for more information.

What burial benefits are available for Texas veterans?

Veterans, spouses and dependents may be eligible for VA burial and memorial benefits including reimbursement of burial expenses, military funeral honors, VA headstones and markers, presidential memorial certificates, burial flags, burial in VA National Cemeteries or other veterans' cemeteries including Texas State Cemeteries. Visit the Texas General Land Office website for more information.

Are there programs for women veterans?

The Women Veterans Health (WVH) Strategic Health Care Group addresses the health care needs of women Veterans and works to ensure that timely, equitable, high-quality, comprehensive health care services are provided in a sensitive and safe environment at VA health facilities nationwide.

How can I get Disabled Veteran plates and placards?

A disabled veteran qualifies for a disabled parking placard when their Department of Veterans Affairs disability rating is 50% or higher. A disabled veteran is entitled to Disabled Veteran license plates when their Department of Veterans Affairs disability rating is 40% AND is the result of the amputation of a lower extremity.Complete Form VTR-615 (the same one used to request DV plates) and mail it to your County Tax Assessor-Collector. Proof of eligibility must accompany the application. Visit the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles website for more information.

My DD214 is wrong. Where can I correct my military records?

The secretary of a military department, acting through a Board for Correction of Military Records, has authority to change any military record when necessary to correct an error or remove an injustice. A correction board may consider applications for correction of a military record, including a review of a discharge issued by court-martial. Visit the National Archives website to start the process.

Where do I apply for the GI Bill?

You can apply for the GI Bill online at the U.S. Dept. of Veterans Affairs website. If you need further assistance, contact your nearest Texas Veterans Commission office.

How can I donate to veterans assistance programs?

Visit the Fund for Veterans' Assistance online donation website, provided by the Texas Veteran Commission. For more information about the Fund for Veterans’ Assistance, visit the Texas Veterans Commission website.